Read this and you'll go insane
Wednesday, January 14, 2004
 
Well, now that I have ordered a new case fan...

Dad brought home four computers he got from a guy so that I could look at them and see if there was anything worth salvaging. They are all Compaqs, according to the label on the side era 1995, but designed for windows 98 with Celeron chips in them.... So they must be newer than that, I don't know why the labels on the side say '95 (they are from the paper mill in town and the stickers are inventory stickers).

Anyway, so I start opening them (stupid modular design nonstandard crap...). They are all the same model, though they have been apparently canabalized in the past. Two have CD-roms (8x) and only one has a hard drive (unknown size at the moment). There are also only two with video cards. They all have floppy drives, the motherboard and processor and ram (one has two sticks, the others have one, there are three DIMM slots in each, I don't know what size these sticks are yet) and network cards. Two have a second serial port as well. And they all have ATX power supplys but they are huge and small (huge in size, small in wattage) with short connectors, so they won't work for anything but the highly specialized design of the compaq cases. Anyway, so I think that I may be able to piece together one working computer out of it, depending on the size of the hard drive, that is bette than the packard bell P75 dad has at work. I'll put three of the RAM sticks in that one. Also I plan to canibalize the extra CD ROM and floppy drives, network card (which is PCI, not ISA), and all the fans, case and power supply, as they are all 80mm fans.

That was all said to say this: I no longer need a fan! Ah well, I am sure the one I ordered, with it's 36 CFM airflow is much better than these are. Not to mention it's new and not old.



Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Klasinc&Loncar Duo (Just trying to help it get picked up by Google spiders, I maintain it for them)