Read this and you'll go insane
Monday, January 24, 2005
 
Oh. My. Goodness. Alton Brown was right. Fresh ground spices are a thousand times better than pre-ground. It's as much, if not more, of a difference as freshly ground coffee makes over preground. It's more akin to freshly roasted coffee vs. preground.

So I have the mortar and pestle I mentioned in my last posting. I decided to practice grinding some spices with it. Now, the only whole, fresh spices I have are pepper and cinnamon. Pepper I get freshly ground all the time as I have a pepper mill. So cinnamon it was.

My goodness it's strong and flavorful. I have some cinnamon powder, too. I tasted them side by side and the pre-ground stuff tasted like dust. Yes indeed. What a wonderful thing fresh ground spices are. Of course, I COULD have gone with a blade coffee mill type thing, but it doesn't look nearly as cool as a mortar and pestle. Neither does it give you that feeling of having acomplished something.


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Klasinc&Loncar Duo (Just trying to help it get picked up by Google spiders, I maintain it for them)