Read this and you'll go insane
Thursday, December 01, 2005
 
I baked banana bread tonight, mixed in my brand new mixer! I ran an extension cord from the den into the kitchen to run it.

My grandfather grounded out two outlets in there, I'm guessing one was so he could run the TV equipment with a surge protector and one looks like it was put in when he did the porch. There's one in my room which I figure he put in for the computer. I tested them and those are actually grounded outlets and not ungrounded three-pronged outlets.

I could either keep using the outlet in the den or install a GFCI in the kitchen (ground-fault outlet, those outlets with the red and yellow buttons like in modern bathrooms that trip when they detect a short) which I read can be installed ungrounded and thus protect you from shorts, but won't work with surge protectors which need the grounded third prong to function properly. So rather than figure out which breaker goes to the outlets in the kitchen and possibly ending up with more trouble than I want to when I discover some reason that installing a GFCI isn't going to be as easy as it should I'll just get a 10' or so extension cord to use when I want to use the mixer.

In other news, the oven actually stayed at 350 the whole time, and it was SET at 350. Wow, I'm amazed.

Now the main kitchen tool I really want is a food processor. But I'll wait until I have my own place -- I'm running out of space to store kitchen stuff!


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Klasinc&Loncar Duo (Just trying to help it get picked up by Google spiders, I maintain it for them)