Read this and you'll go insane
Thursday, March 22, 2007
 
The real high-speed
So I knew that I was getting a better connection while at school if I plugged into the ethernet jacks in the library rather than connecting to one of the two rather weak wireless networks I can find in the music building I just hadn't realized just how much faster it was until I opened my download manager to start some of the sermons downloading from my church (to put on my MP3 player and listen to in the car). Wow. It was tons faster than the slow DSL I have access to at home.

So I checked the speed. 3.7Mbps is what I got from the bandwidth place online. Nice.

I think the DSL is the 128k variety? Maybe the 256. 3.7MBps is much faster than either of those two. I downloaded about 10 sermons in less time than it took me to dl a single one at home.

In other news, I have installed Firefox 2 (I know, I know... it was released back in the late fall or something, wasn't it? I just never got around to updating it. Earlier this week I was at my parents' house doing something on their computer and realized they still had a very old version of FF on there so I updated it and realized that I needed to update mine as well.) on my computer. I like it. Once I found the key in the config to disable the new "x" button on the tabs (which caused me to close tabs when I was trying to switch to them and is not something I need since I use the Tab Clicking Options extension and have the middle mouse button set up to close tabs) I liked it more.

Of course as with every time I have updated my Firefox I have had to switch themes but the Blue Ice theme that I am using now is close enough to the Phoenity Modern theme I have been using. Perhaps there will be an update to that theme sometime soon, if not I can live with this. There was another theme I wanted to try out, Blueshift, which is a very dark blue "glowing"ish theme, but it hasn't been updated for Firefox 2 yet. The red version is out, but I do not like black with glowing red very much.

Thus far I am in love with the active spell-checking. It is just like the active spell-check that all the word processors use these days but it works on anything you type in Firefox. Nice indeed.

Also I like the fact that you can now easily modify the search plugins without having to get a plugin with which to modify them.

Another very nice feature that I have yet to try out is the ability to restore your browsing session in case you close the browser on accident, the browser crashes, or you are forced to reboot mid-session. The restore includes web forms, apparently (such as the one I am typing in at the moment). This means no more lost blog or forum posts if something goes terribly, terribly wrong!

After all that about how the skin I like never carries over as soon as I upgrade Firefox I realize that I guess it is good that I don't update right away. All of the extensions that I still needed (some being made void by features in the new version) were already updated to work with FF2 so my transition was very easy.

I also like the automatic update of extension. FlashGot extension got updated last night automatically. I don't think that happened with the older versons of Firefox.


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Klasinc&Loncar Duo (Just trying to help it get picked up by Google spiders, I maintain it for them)