Read this and you'll go insane
Saturday, April 28, 2007
 
A clean keyboard
Is a happy keyboard?

Well, last night I popped the keys off my keyboard to clean it and then decided to go a step beyond the compressed air thing because there was all this gunk under the keys. I suppose this is 2 years worth of bread crumbs, skin particles, skin oils, and matter from micro-wormholes or somesuch that collects in dark places. To do this I took the screws out of the bottom of the keyboard and took out the insides. This consists of a small circuit board where the (X)lock LEDs are, three mylar sheets, and a rubber pad. Two of the three sheets are printed circuits, the blank sheet in the middle has holes punched out where the keys are, and the rubber mat is pressed down by the keys to make connections. Anyway, that is beside the point, I took them all out and washed the case and keys in the sink.

It took me a good while to get all the keys back on, and I still am not sure about some of the non-standard keys that i never use. But i never use them, so I don't care.

The fun thing is I can do the letters and numbers from memory. :D

It took me four tries to get the circuitry working again, I was having trouble getting the printed circuits on the mylar lining up with the contacts on the circuit board. But, it works now, and it is clean! And I just finished eating a sandwich over it so I am well on my way to getting it dirty again! At least all the hair is out. Dog hair and my hair in a big flattened out mass, eeew.


Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com

Klasinc&Loncar Duo (Just trying to help it get picked up by Google spiders, I maintain it for them)